Come work at MHS!
Midlands Humane Society is a great place to work. When job openings arise, they might be for working with animals one on one as a kennel technician or working with the public and animals as an adoption counselor and customer service representative.
Would you love to work with animals? Does it sound amazing to help them get and stay healthy as they search for their forever homes? You may want to consider a job as a Kennel Technician. Each day you get to work one on one and experience lots of 'hands-on' time with cats, dogs and small critters.
Are you a people person, but also enjoy being around animals? Consider applying to be a Customer Service Representative and help match animals to interested families.
When positions are available, the descriptions will be listed here. If you don't see anything below the line; we don't currently have any positions available.
Animal Care Technician
The animal care shelter technician is responsible for the daily maintenance and care of the animals and animal areas of the shelter. The specialist must have a love of animals and be willing to provide maximum care services to our animal clientele
- Perform daily sanitation of dog kennels and cattery areas according to the Midlands Humane Society policies and procedures
- General cleaning including, but not limited to, laundry, mopping, and dishes
- Assure all animals are cared for regarding food, water, bedding and appropriate living conditions
- Humane and safe animal handling
- Retrieval of animals for owner reclaims
- Record and report any behavior and medical observations
- Record and report problems with animals or the building
- Other duties as assigned
- Reports to the Shelter Manager
- High school diploma or GED
- Use of all extremities
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted
- Good coordination
- Be comfortable and skilled working with animals
- Ability to safely and humanely handle all types of animals
- Ability to work around animals without allergic reaction
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Must be able to follow direction
- Must be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
Working Conditions & Hours
This is a 20-25 hours per week position that includes morning, afternoon, weekend, and holiday hours. Schedule does vary.
Customer Care & Adoption Counselor
The customer care team member is responsible for providing service to the public, staff, and the Midlands Humane Society.
- Greet, assist, and direct the public.
- Perform data entry for all customer service activities and other shelter departments.
- Assist staff and customers with adoptions.
- Reconcile cash, checks, and credit card payments with data entry to the system.
- Maintain, balance, and reconcile individual daily cash drawers.
- Answer shelter phones and provide appropriate information to callers.
- Accept monetary and material donations from the public
- Resolve customer complaints in person and on the phone
- Assist in the intake and processing of all surrendered animals brought into the shelter.
- Prescreen owner surrendered animals for entry into adoption program
- Record and report and behavior and/or medical observations on incoming animals
- Return impounded animals to owners as appropriate and collect fees.
- Maintain shelter files and database.
- Write clear and concise memos and letters.
- Complete customer lost and found reports and walk public through stray kennels to identify pets.
- Represent the Midlands Humane Society in a professional, compassionate manner to the public.
- Work closely with other shelter staff to ensure proper handling of all animals and provide quality service to the public.
- Engage volunteers
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Computer, filing and general clerical skills-proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must possess maturity, good judgment, and professional manner
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Pleasant manner in telephone and personal contacts
- Ability to work with animals without allergic reaction
- Ability to identify and properly handle aggressive animals
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to calmly deal with irate or anxious customers
- Able to lift up to 50lbs.
Working Conditions & Hours
Must be willing to work irregular hours and overtime including evenings, weekends, and holidays. This is a part time, 20-30 hours per week position. Schedule may vary depending on the needs of the Midlands Humane Society shelter operation.
TO APPLY FOR EITHER POSITION, PLEASE FILL OUT THE REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS.