Come work at MHS!
Midlands Humane Society is a great place to work. When job openings arise, they might be for working with animals one on one as an Animal Care Technician or working with the public and animals as a Customer Care and Adoption Counselor.
Would you love to work with animals? Does it sound amazing to help them get and stay healthy as they search for their forever homes? You may want to consider a job as an Animal Care Technician. Each day you get to work one on one and experience lots of 'hands-on' time with cats, dogs and small critters.
Are you a people person, but also enjoy being around animals? Consider applying to become a Customer Care Representative and Adoption Counselor.
When positions are available, the descriptions will be listed here. If you don't see anything below the line; we don't currently have any positions available.
Animal Care Technician
The animal care shelter technician is responsible for the daily maintenance and care of the animals and animal areas of the shelter. The specialist must have a love of animals and be willing to provide maximum care services to our animal clientele
- Perform daily sanitation of dog kennels and cattery areas according to the Midlands Humane Society policies and procedures
- General cleaning including, but not limited to, laundry, mopping, and dishes
- Assure all animals are cared for regarding food, water, bedding and appropriate living conditions
- Humane and safe animal handling
- Retrieval of animals for owner reclaims
- Record and report any behavior and medical observations
- Record and report problems with animals or the building
- Other duties as assigned
- Reports to the Shelter Manager
- High school diploma or GED
- Use of all extremities
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted
- Good coordination
- Be comfortable and skilled working with animals
- Ability to safely and humanely handle all types of animals
- Ability to work around animals without allergic reaction
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Must be able to follow direction
- Must be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
Working Conditions & Hours
This is a 20-25 hours per week position that includes morning, afternoon, weekend, and holiday hours. Schedule does vary.
Customer Care & Adoption Counselor
The Customer Care Team is responsible for assisting the public in a compassionate and professional manner while being knowledgeable about the MHS mission and services that we provide.
- Greet, assist, and direct the public in a compassionate and professional manner.
- Ability to multitask and provide effective customer service to large numbers of people.
- Perform data entry for all customer service activities and other shelter departments as needed.
- Reconcile cash, checks, and credit card payments with data entry into the correct system.
- Maintain, balance, and reconcile individual daily cash drawers.
- Answer shelter phones and provide appropriate information to callers.
- Accept monetary and material donations from the public.
- Write clear and concise memos, letters, and emails.
- Resolve minor customer complaints in person and on the phone.
- Record and report behavior and/or medical observations to appropriate departments.
- Maintain shelter database and files.
- Keep online pet profiles updated.
- Meet with potential adopters and finalize adoptions.
- Determine best fit matches based on adopter’s lifestyle and the pet’s personality.
- Intake and process all over the counter stray animals and owner surrendered animals that are brought into the humane society.
- Intake and process all over the counter animals brought in from outside agencies, rescues, etc.
- Impound animals back to owners who can provide proof of ownership per individual city ordinances, charging appropriate fees, etc.
- Complete customer Lost and Found reports and walk the public through the stray kennels.
- Perform follow up calls to customers with current Lost/Found reports.
- Work closely with other shelter staff to ensure proper handling of all animals and provide quality service to the public.
- Assist the public with euthanasia request and be able to provide compassion and knowledge of the Furever Remembered cremation packages.
- Engage and train volunteers.
- Preform any other duties as may be assigned by the Customer Service Supervisor.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Computer, filing, and general clerical skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must possess maturity, good judgement, and a professional manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Pleasant manner in telephone and personal contacts
- Ability to work with animals without allergic reaction.
- Ability to handle various animal behaviors confidently.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to calmly deal with irate or anxious customers.
- Ability to be flexible in ever changing conditions.
- This is a part time, 25-30 hours per week position and schedules may vary depending on the needs of the Midlands Humane Society. Must be willing to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted.
- Frequent movement including but not limited to standing, walking, stooping, carrying heavy loads of up to 50 pounds, movement of cages, and restraining or handling active animals.
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals
- Temperatures in the shelter are varied but usually moderate and dependent on the season.
- Must be able to tolerate working in a loud environment.
- Emotional demands include but are not limited to compassion fatigue caused by exposure to:
- Euthanasia & cremation
- Animal abuse & neglect
TO APPLY FOR EITHER POSITION, PLEASE FILL OUT THE REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS.