Animals Available for Adoption
- Puppies and Dogs $150-$350
- Kittens and Cats $50-$120
Adoption fees include spay/neuter, microchip, all vaccinations and pre-loving by Midlands Humane Society staff and volunteers.
* Adoptions fees are subject to change
** Hero pets - MHS uses additional funds generated from our Hero Pets to support and aid in the care of pets’ whose stays are longer, medical needs are greater and for those who may face emergencies. Dollars raised by our generous supporters help curtail the costs incurred by that animals and save the lives of others. They have the prestigious honor of being known as our MHS "Shelter Heroes."
- Approximately 5-7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year.
- Approximately 3-4 million are euthanized due to a lack of space or resources to adequately care for them (60% of dogs and 70% of cats).
- Less than 2% of cats and only 15-20% of dogs are returned to their owners (most of these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips).
- 25% of dogs that enter local shelters are purebred.
- Only 10% of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered. 75% of owned pets are neutered.
- The average number of litters a fertile cat produces is 1-2 per year; the average number of kittens in litters is
- The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is 1 per year; the average number of puppies in litters is
- It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the US; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
- Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
- Many strays are lost pets that were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.