The animal care shelter technician is responsible for the daily maintenance and care of the animals and animal areas of the shelter. The specialist must have a love of animals and be willing to provide maximum care services to our animal clientele
Perform daily sanitation of dog kennels and cattery areas according to the Midlands Humane Society policies and procedures
General cleaning including, but not limited to, laundry, mopping, and dishes
Assure all animals are cared for regarding food, water, bedding and appropriate living conditions
Humane and safe animal handling
Retrieval of animals for owner reclaims
Record and report any behavior and medical observations
Record and report problems with animals or the building
Other duties as assigned
Reports to the Shelter Manager
High school diploma or GED
Use of all extremities
Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted
Be comfortable and skilled working with animals
Ability to safely and humanely handle all types of animals
Ability to work around animals without allergic reaction
Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
Must be able to follow direction
Must be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
Working Conditions & Hours
This is a 20-25 hours per week position that includes morning, afternoon, weekend, and holiday hours. Schedule does vary.
This job description is intended to be illustrative. Every duty expected of this position is not listed above. This is not a contract and the Board of Directors reserves the right to change its contents at any time. The MHS complies with the guidelines set forth in the ADA Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, or status as a disabled veteran of the Vietnam era. MHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The customer care team member is responsible for providing service to the public, staff, and the Midlands Humane Society.
- Greet, assist, and direct the public.
- Perform data entry for all customer service activities and other shelter departments.
- Assist staff and customers with adoptions.
- Reconcile cash, checks, and credit card payments with data entry to the system.
- Maintain, balance, and reconcile individual daily cash drawers.
- Answer shelter phones and provide appropriate information to callers.
- Accept monetary and material donations from the public
- Resolve customer complaints in person and on the phone
- Assist in the intake and processing of all surrendered animals brought into the shelter.
- Prescreen owner surrendered animals for entry into adoption program
- Record and report and behavior and/or medical observations on incoming animals
- Return impounded animals to owners as appropriate and collect fees.
- Maintain shelter files and database.
- Write clear and concise memos and letters.
- Complete customer lost and found reports and walk public through stray kennels to identify pets.
- Represent the Midlands Humane Society in a professional, compassionate manner to the public.
- Work closely with other shelter staff to ensure proper handling of all animals and provide quality service to the public.
- Engage volunteers
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Computer, filing and general clerical skills-proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must possess maturity, good judgment, and professional manner
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Pleasant manner in telephone and personal contacts
- Ability to work with animals without allergic reaction
- Ability to identify and properly handle aggressive animals
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to calmly deal with irate or anxious customers
- Able to lift to 50 lbs.
Working Conditions & Hours
Must be willing to work irregular hours and overtime including evenings, weekends, and holidays. This is a part time, 20-30 hours per week position. Schedule may vary depending on the needs of the Midlands Humane Society shelter operation.
This job description is intended to be illustrative. Every duty expected of this position is not listed above. This is not a contract and the Board of Directors reserves the right to change its contents at any time. The MHS complies with the guidelines set forth in the ADA Act of 1990 and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, or status as a disabled veteran of the Vietnam era. The MHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com