The animal care shelter technician is responsible for the daily maintenance and care of the animals and animal areas of the shelter. The specialist must have a love of animals and be willing to provide maximum care services to our animal clientele.
- Perform daily sanitation of dog kennels and cattery areas according to the Midlands Humane Society policies and procedures
- General cleaning including, but not limited to, laundry, mopping, and dishes
- Assure all animals are cared for regarding food, water, bedding and appropriate living conditions
- Humane and safe animal handling
- Retrieval of animals for owner reclaims
- Record and report any behavior and medical observations
- Record and report problems with animals or the building
- Other duties as assigned
- Reports to the Shelter Manager
- Essential Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Use of all extremities
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted
- Good coordination
- Be comfortable and skilled working with animals
- Ability to safely and humanely handle all types of animals
- Ability to work around animals without allergic reaction
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Must be able to follow direction
- Must be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- This is a 20-25 hours per week position that includes morning, afternoon, weekend, and holiday hours. Schedule does vary.
- To Apply Send cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org This job description is intended to be illustrative. Every duty expected of this position is not listed above. This is not a contract and the Board of Directors reserves the right to change its contents at any time. The MHS complies with the guidelines set forth in the ADA Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, or status as a disabled veteran of the Vietnam era. MHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Customer Care & Adoption Counselor is responsible for providing service to the public, staff and the Midlands Humane Society.
Greet, assist and direct the public.
Perform data entry for all customer service activities and other shelter departments.
Assist staff and customers with adoptions.
Reconcile cash, checks, and credit card payments with data entry to the system.
Maintain, balance and reconcile individual daily cash drawers.
Answer shelter phones and provide appropriate information to callers.
Accept monetary and material donations from the public
Resolve customer complaints in person and on the phone
Assist in the intake and processing of all surrendered animals brought into the shelter.
Prescreen owner surrendered animals for entry into adoption program
Record and report and behavior and/or medical observations on incoming animals
Return impounded animals to owners as appropriate and collect fees.
Maintain shelter files and database.
Write clear and concise memos and letters.
Complete customer lost and found reports and walk public through stray kennels to identify pets.
Represent the Midlands Humane Society in a professional, compassionate manner to the public.
Work closely with other shelter staff to ensure proper handling of all animals and provide quality service to the public.
High school diploma or equivalent
Computer, filing and general clerical skills-proficient in Microsoft Office
Must possess maturity, good judgment and professional manner
Ability to communicate clearly
Pleasant manner in telephone and personal contacts
Ability to work with animals without allergic reaction
Ability to identify and properly handle aggressive animals
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Ability to calmly deal with irate or anxious customers
Able to lift up to 50 lbs
Working Conditions & Hours
Must be willing to work irregular hours and overtime including evenings, weekends and holidays. This is a part time, 20-25 hours per week position. Schedule may vary depending on the needs of the Midlands Humane Society shelter operation.
This job description is intended to be illustrative. Every duty expected of this position is not listed above. This is not a contract and the Board of Directors reserves the right to change its contents at any time. The MHS complies with the guidelines set forth in the ADA Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, or status as a disabled veteran of the Vietnam era. The MHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com